By: Linda Conrad
Congratulations to Ellen and Linda, the winners of Linda Conrad's giveaway. Thank you to all who participated. The winners will be contacted by the author.
I’ve been talking to readers lately about the romantic suspense genre. Many of the publishers and editors are saying that it is not selling as well and seems to be out of favor with readers. Really? As a reader myself, I disagree. I love romantic suspense!
I decided to list a few of the reasons why I love romantic suspense. Some of the things on this list also pertain to all romances (and I do love other genres of romance too) but there’s something about romantic suspense that really grabs me.
Especially these TEN Things:
1. A hero who can shoot, ride, kill the enemy and kiss the heroine in a way that curls her toes. Yeah, that’s the guy for me.
2. Intelligent characters who can figure out who-done-it. All stupid characters have to die!
3. Love at first sight (or right afterward) This one is not just for RS, but it happens often in RS because there’s so much going on that the characters don’t have time to think it over.
4. Characters who trust one another enough to lay their life on the line. Sigh. Now that’s love.
5. Heroines who see something special in their alpha hero that no one else sees. He could be a monster to the world but she will know the heroic man underneath.
6. A hero who loves the heroine absolutely—and we know he will have no desire for anyone else as long as he lives. This is another thing that pertains to many kinds of romance but I think it applies to our alpha heroes more than others.
7. Heroes and heroines who believe in each other despite evidence to the contrary. Sometimes they believe in each other more than they believe in themselves.
8. A first kiss that makes me sigh and a love scene that makes me cry.
9. Secondary characters who keep things interesting -- and dangerous. Just love to get my heart racing.
10. A Happily-Ever-After! Yeah, I know. All romances have HEAs. But the Romantic Suspense HEAs are special. :)
I am starting a brand new series for the Harlequin Romantic Suspense line called Chance, Texas. Chance is the name of a small ranching community in Texas and also the name of a large family of ranchers who own the biggest ranch in the county. It’s given me the opportunity to include all the things I love best about romantic suspense in the stories.
The first Chance, Texas book will be out in April and is available for preorder now. It’s called TEXAS BABY SANCTUARY and it has one very cool cover. (love the guy) The second Chance, Texas book will be out in May. Called TEXAS MANHUNT, it’s both romantic and full of suspense. The third story for Chance, Texas will be a short story in a Christmas anthology (along with a story by Marilyn Pappano) that’s out in December 2012. Working title for the anthology is Christmas Confidential.
So as you can see, I LOVE romantic suspense. What about you? Can you think of any other reasons to love RS. Or don’t you? Prefer paranormals instead? I’m open to other opinions (sort of)
Linda will be giving away a copy of any of her backlist books to 2 lucky commentors!
Giveaway ends 10pm EST Feb. 16th. Please supply your email in the post. You may use spaces or full text for security. (ex. jsmith at gmail dot com) If you do not wish to supply your email, or have trouble posting, please email justromanticsuspense @ gmail.com with a subject title of JRS GIVEAWAY to be entered in the current giveaway.